THIS BLOG IS DEDICATED TO ALL BIKERS HERE IN THE U.S. AND WORLDWIDE. TO ALL THE VETERANS; THOSE LIVING AND TO THOSE WHO GAVE THE ULTIMATE SACRIFICE; TO THOSE CURRENTLY SERVING AND TO THOSE IN THE FUTURE, WHO WILL SERVE LONG AFTER WE HAVE GONE, TO PRESERVE THE FREEDOM THAT THOSE IN THE PAST, WE IN THE PRESENT AND THOSE IN THE FUTURE HAVE ENJOYED, ARE ENJOYING AND WILL ENJOY, AS WE RIDE FREE AND ENJOY LIFE ON OUR CHOSEN MODE OF TRANSPORTATION: MOTORCYCLES

JOHN
NORTH TEXAS BIKERS


REMEMBER: IF YOU WANT TO SEE THE PICTURE BIGGER, JUST CLICK ON THE PICTURE!!

Saturday, June 13, 2009

The Michigan Trip The Ride Home To Texas 6-5-09

I left my parents house at 3:00 a.m. (Texas time) on Friday 6-5-09 for the ride back to Texas. I was riding in between two weather systems and as the result of that, I had to go non-stop back to Texas or get stuck in the storms if I stopped anywhere. So, I had to cancel my plans to stop in St. Louis & Joplin and hammer down in hopes of beating the storms. I got home at 1:07 a.m. Saturday 6-6-09 and as I was passing thru Lawton Oklahoma, (50 miles North of home), I could see lightning off to the West. So, Scroll down for the final few pics of the trip and REMEMBER: IF YOU WANT TO SEE THE PICTURES BIGGER, JUST CLICK ON THE PICTURE.




Detroit Metro Airport



Detroit Metro Airport


These were built on I-94 to honor the Detroit Lions when they went to the Super Bowl several years ago.



The city of Indianapolis Indiana off to my right



The Indy International Airport off of I-70




The Indy Airport signs





A couple bikes that pulled onto I-70 in front of me...






I cross into Illinois







Illinois is known for its farmland








This giant cross is right off of I-70 in Illinois





I stopped for gas and met Wes, a fellow PGR member. He is also a member of CMA and his home Chapter is the Sons of Thunder of NW Indiana. http://cmancr3.org/IN/SONSOFTHUNDER/default.aspx . He had 3 1/2 hours to go (he was riding to Chicago) and I had 12 1/2 hrs to go.










I had plenty of construction work to deal with on the ride back thru six states







One site I always love to see while on the road is the Arch in St. Louis Missouri. This was taken while still on I-70 in Illinois






Getting a little closer







The Arch & the Mississippi River. I had to put the camera up for awhile because if you've ever been on the bridge across the river and the traffic in St. Louis, you know the hazards of just driving a car, much less a motorcycle thru that mess.






After clearing St. Louis and settling into the ride, I get the camera out again. Here I am going thru the Ozarks



More of the Ozarks






I was cruising along at about 80 mph when this Harley passes me doing close to a hundred. I had seen him approaching in my mirror and was ready with the camera..




This is a mansion in Joplin Missouri that is also a store & restaurant..






About 50 miles from Joplin, after crossing into Oklahoma, you approach the largest McDonald's in the US. It crosses over I-44






and here it is. It sits over I-44, in Oklahoma, between Tulsa Oklahoma & Joplin Missouri


On I-44 in Oklahoma, just hours from Texas







At 12:32 a.m. on June 6, 09, I cross into Texas and stop on I-44 and get this last picture of the trip. The Michigan trip was great and I look forward to seeing my family & friends again next year. However, I will not be going non stop again. I have proved all I have to prove about us old guys be capable of going long distances non stop. With April's 1,000 mile non stop run to Tucson Arizona and six days later, this 1,251 non stop run to and from Michigan , I have done my last non stop cross country ride. I will now join the ranks of the sane and spend nights at hotels & motels on a nice soft bed when travelling on a motorcycle.
So, scroll down for more rides, events & posts and don't forget to click on the "older posts" link at the bottom of EACH page for more rides and posts. Check out North Texas Bikers (1) at http://www.jjskewlstuff.blogspot.com/ for rides, events & posts from January 08-November 08. Until next post, ya'll be careful out there, ride safe, keep the rubber on the road & pray for our Troops................JOHN
























2 comments:

  1. Crazy long ride but what a great time of year to make it happen..There has to be some great riding in Texas and a 12 month riding year as well. Western NY Winters put the breaks on our riding season. I enjoyed the story and photos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. great pics as usual!! i can relate, after 700 miles my body feels gumby'fied and im looking for a cushy bed. thanks for sharing your awesome rides, stories, and pics. i wish i could take pics while riding like you do... :)

    ReplyDelete